MGTDEV-L Archives

April 1996

MGTDEV-L@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peter Pflaum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
University Management Development discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 1996 08:03:35 -0500
You really need to get to the site http://metro.turnpike.net/~pflaump
first.htm because it's there (somewhere) Seek and ye will find - bang hard
enough and the door will open ? The uni-bomber lives in his own space - The
real world is only a special case and not very interesting - disconnected -
then the Macnamara - Vietman War systems types lost touch - they also
thought they knew something that the rest of us didn't - were better,
smarter - then two brothers Jack and Bobby thought they were smarter than
Fiedel and Roul -and didn't have to play by the rules ?
Saw your posting to the HR-OD-L list.  I'm building a Web site for DuPont's
packaging materials business, and am on the verge of launching it.

In my "welcome" message, I want to flag several key functions in Corporate
America that need to come to terms with the radical nature of this change
that we are going through.

Tried to find your site, but got an error message.  Your message fits
exactly what I'm experiencing as both the joy/creativity/freedom that we
can enjoy as individual contributors to worthy goals -- and also the
frustration of dealing with a largely bewildered "Theory X" management
structure.  It speaks the words, because it is not stupid.  But it cannot
mean them, because its own job is at stake.  It doesn't dare let go,
because what it's holding onto is its only known security.

We need to help them understand that they can be free, too, if only we
can find the purposes that make sense to all of us.

The human resource function is in need of new vision.  I want to point
them to neat places to study and grow.  Helpful tips welcomed.

Shareholders are another audience.  And of course, our customers.  But
one of the main topics I feel needs to be addressed as big business
accepts that it is entering chaotic times, is the collecting and
motivating of bright, honest, sincere people, who neither look for
nor look up to traditional powers in the organization, but rather
look for ideas that will help them know with whom to conspire for
great new successes in meeting society's needs.

Come on, Doc -- throw me something that floats so I can share it with
people here.

Enjoyed your posting.  There are "WHAT MATTERS" kinds of people in big
companies.  Let's help them surface and get things moving again!

Chip Fogg
DuPont Packaging & Industrial Polymers
Interactive Communications
SYNERGY-NET on http://emporium.turnpike.net/~pflaump or
http://metro.turnpike.net/~pflaum [log in to unmask]
** Peter E. Pflaum Ph.D. , Headmaster GLOBAL_VILLAGE_SCHOOLHOUSE
225 Robinson Road, New Smyrna Beach, FL 32169-2176 (904) 428-9609