ADHS Archives

March 1997

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David M Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 15:08:20 -500
My apology.  Not being able to find Ruth Engs' website through the
URL  that Ron Roizen provided, I worked my way to it and then tried to
share the URL that I had located.  I did not mean to send the
complete article with hypertext mark up language.

My local comment: the rhythm of change varies from place to place.
When I arrived in Oxford, Ohio, in 1969, teenagers could drink; in
1997 they can't legally.  Yet there is more to the story.  In 1969
the only form of alcohol that ANYBODY could buy in this small college
town was 3.2 beer.  Now there is a "state store" (actually a private
agent) that sells hard liquor for off-premises consumption and many
stores that sell beer and wine ditto.  Also many bars and restaurants
that sell all kinds of alcohol for on-premises consumption.  A recent
local controversy revealed a new bar that sold alcoholic drink
WITHOUT a license and without police citations.  I don't mean to say that the
townis notably "wetter" than it had been.  In 1969 it was common for faculty to
serve hard liquor to guests.  Today bourbon and Scotch have disappeared.

David M. Fahey
History Department
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056-1618, USA