MUEMAIL Archives

April 1997

MUEMAIL@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Dirk S. Tepe" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Electronic Mail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 18:03:47 -0400
George Greer wrote:

>> This seems to imply that po.muohio.edu is a separate system that actually
>> holds mail. I was under the impression that it was just a mail server that
>
>po.muohio.edu.  3600    CNAME   stream.mcs.muohio.edu.
>stream.mcs.muohio.edu.  3600    A       134.53.7.12
>
>In other words:
>po.muohio.edu = the vax cluster = miavx1

You will find that po.muohio.edu is really ocean.mcs.muohio.edu (134.53.7.11).

>> By pointing Eudora to MiaVX1 (i.e., entering my account there in the POP
>> account field), am I not taking advantage of POP3 services? And what
>
>Same as po.muohio.edu

This isn't quite true.  PO and MiaVX1 are part of the cluster and share
login id and passwords.  However, they do not share mail files.  Each
machine is an independent mail enabled account.  Only MiaVX1 has
interactive login, though.  To get mail from PO, you have to use a POP or
IMAP client.  Sending mail to [log in to unmask] is different from
sending mail to [log in to unmask] even though I use the same login and
password to retrieve it.

>> exactly is mailfwd.muohio.edu (which I have set as my SMTP host)? I guess
>
>mailfwd.muohio.edu.     3600    CNAME   rose.muohio.edu.
>rose.muohio.edu.        3600    A       134.53.1.1
>
>That old computer still takes care of sending all your mail when you turn
>off your computer if it can't be delivered.  Kind of like handing your
>mail to a postman to deliver because you have to go to bed. You stop
>worrying about it, and he takes care of getting the mail there

When using POP, your machine doesn't try to send the message to the
destination at all.  It passes the message off to the SMTP host for
delivery always, not if it can't be delivered.  The SMTP host is then
responsible for trying to get it sent.

>--
>George Greer    [log in to unmask] | Genius may have its limitations, but
>http://www.ham.muohio.edu/~greerga | stupidity is not thus handicapped.
>       Dragon System Administrator |                    -- Elbert Hubbard

Dirk S. Tepe                           "What's right is what's left if
Computing and Information Services          you do everything Wrong"
Miami University
137 Hoyt Hall                                    --Robin Williams
Oxford, OH  45056
http://www.muohio.edu/~tepeds/
Voice:  513.529.1514
FAX:    513.529.1496