On-Time Registration for Spring 02 If you have not heard about changes in registration procedures for the next semester you will. The purpose of this communication is to make sure that you will breeze through these new procedures. If you believe you are a special education pre-major or major you need to be sure that is indicated on your DARS. I suggest you all go and check your DARS to see if it has your correct status indicated. If not, come in and complete a change of major form in 201 McGuffey and talk with Jean Sheran so we can be sure that your intentions, your DARS, and our records are consistent by the time you register. Note: On-Time Registration means you will receive confirmation of classes when you register on-line. The timing of your registration will be according to the number of hours you have earned so that seniors will register first, etc. Note that your earned hours do not include the hours you are taking this semester but only those that you have already successfully completed. First Student CEC Meeting CEC (Council for Exceptional Children) is the primary umbrella organization for special educators, administrators, and parents. An important part of professional citizenship is participation in professional organizations. The first student CEC meeting of the year will be this coming Tuesday, September 25, at 7:00 P.M. in McGuffey Room 372. Tom Knestrict, a member of the EDP faculty teaching special education and a long-time teacher of students with severe behavioral problems, will give a practical talk on "Everything a New Special Education Teacher Needs to Know About Classroom Discipline". Trust me, the first time you cry as a teacher will not be because a student cannot master two digit addition but because of frustrations around discipline. Come to this first gathering for the year of Student CEC, meet the officers, hear about plans for the year, and hear and ask questions of our expert on classroom discipline. And perhaps, have some conversation and a cookie or two. Attention Middle/Adolescent Reading and Math Methods Students for Spring 02 When you take regular education methods for M/I and M/M majors be sure to take them all during the same semester, along with the special education methods and practicum. During the last SPEDNET, I asked everyone planning to take middle or adolescent reading and math methods next semester to contact Jean Sheran. Right now, one student has contacted Jean and that means that particular student's name will be entered as eligible to take the methods. At this point, I am assuming that there are no other students. Essential that You Peruse SPEDNET Updates Once again, I need to reiterate the importance of reading the SPEDNET updates to be sure you get information important for your program. This is fair warning that reading these announcements on SPEDNET is essential for all special education pre-majors, majors, and minors. For example, in two months if a student subscribed to SPEDNET comes in and tells me they were not able to register for certain courses for Spring because they thought they were a major but DARS said they weren't I will not take heroic efforts to accommodate them since fair warning was provided (first item, above). Heroic efforts are reserved only for those of you who follow all the rules and dictums and yet still get zapped. Support your Student CEC Group ----------------------------- Alex Thomas Educational Psychology Miami University 201 McGuffey Hall Oxford, OH 45056 (513) 529-6632-Office (513) 529-3646-Fax [log in to unmask]