Dear Students, Many of you have been hearing us talking about this accreditation review with NCATE for months.  I wanted to share the outcome with you, contained in the e-mail from the Dean below, knowing  you will share our pride in what we do here in Education, Health & Society.  Congratulations to all of us!

MKE

From: Carine Feyten [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 4:26 PM
To: Leafgren, Sheri; Heuberger, Barbara Dr.; Saine, Paula Dr.; Kleiman, Irene Lang Mrs.; Lloyd, Sally A. Dr.; Schwartz, Tammy Ann Dr.; Baszile, Denise Marie Dr.; Wachenheim, Kimberly Wilson Mrs.; Nimtz, Roderick E. Mr.; Quantz, Richard A. Dr.; Troesch, Patricia J. Mrs.; Oris, James T.; Salmon, Kathy M. Mrs.; Denzler, Karen M. Ms.; Gault, Lisa W. Mrs.; Niehoff, Beth A. Mrs.; Warren, Crystal Nicole Miss; Roberts, Sharron Mrs.; Benes, Janet L. Ms.; Dillhoff, Mary Ann; Adams, Kristina C. Ms.; Boyd, Christine F. Mrs.; Dennett, Linda G. Ms.; Withrow, Denise Gayle Ms.; Turner, Jennifer Elizabeth Mrs.; Fisher, Monica V. Ms.; Witte, Raymond Dr.; Thompson, Steven R. Dr.; Brooks, Douglas M. Dr.; Abbitt, Jason T Dr.; Kelly-Elliott, Molly MEd Ms.; Swartz, James David Dr.; Burke, Robert Wayne Dr.; Wanko, Jeffrey J. Dr.; Mackenzie, Ann Haley Dr.; Misco, Thomas; Romano, Tom S. Dr.; Kelly-Elliott, Molly MEd Ms.; Southern, William Thomas Dr.; Bergen, Doris Dr.; Bowyer, Garry Dr.; Ubbes, Valerie A. Dr.; rousmak@muohi
Cc: McGowan, Teresa M. Ms.; Feyten, Carine M. Dr.; Wissing, Holly D. Mrs.; Denzler, Karen M. Ms.; Chase, Melissa Ann Dr.; Terrell, Raymond Dr.; Rogers, Judith L.; Schilling, Karen Maitland Dr.; Lentini, James P. Dr.
Subject: We Did It!!!

Dear colleagues and friends:

All of you who participated in the NCATE accreditation process should congratulate yourselves on achieving results that are as impressive as they are unprecedented. The NCATE accreditation team reported today that Miami has met every NCATE standard.  Furthermore, and this is highly unusual, there was not a single area of improvement noted. This is a first for Miami and for Ohio.  During the exit interview, the Ohio Department of Education representative told us she knows of no other school of education in the state that has come out of an NCATE visit with no improvements recommended. The NCATE team leader, who has conducted reviews for many years, said she has never seen such a result in her entire career!

I am so proud to be part of a university that has produced such results.

Please accept my thanks for the time and effort you put in to achieve this flawless preliminary report. There are too many who played key roles to list individually, but I would be remiss if I did not publicly acknowledge the numerous contributions of Teresa McGowan.

External evaluation of our programs is critical not only to our efforts to continually improve what we do, but to our students, their families, and prospective employers.  The NCATE process, while admittedly painful at times, has helped us with the introspection and self-review  that is so essential to the success of our programs.

From the bottom of my heart, Thank You!!

From a very grateful and elated Dean....

Carine

Carine M. Feyten, Ph.D.
Dean, School of Education, Health and Society
Professor, Foreign Language Education
Miami University, Oxford, Ohio 45056

(513) 529-6317 -- (513) 529-1763 (F)

http://www.units.muohio.edu/eap/about/deans-welcome.htm