ADHS Archives

June 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Margaret Barrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 1995 15:58:47 GMT
At the risk of exposing my great ignorance can someone inform me what
is the above society and its role in alcohol or temperance history.
Do I just live on the wrong side of the Atlantic? or am I uninformed?

BTW I have now had a copy of Harrisons 2nd Ed for a while and I agree
with Dorothy Thompson's assessment of it. It has a new introduction
which cites some of the recently published work, but it seems to be
somewhat selective. The index is completely reorganised and the
entries extended but often they do not lead to significant
information on the topic. It has obviously been re-edited so it is
difficult to know how much new material is there. As I am working on
women in the temperance movement I was disappointed to find that he
has not extended the coverage in the first edition.

Margaret Barrow

Margaret Barrow
Joule Library
UMIST,