ADHS Archives

May 2004

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 May 2004 15:49:36 -0400
Anyone who can help please post both on the list (for everybody's benefit)
and to Roland-Francois Lack directly.

*****

I was hoping you might be able to help me with some research related to the
IOGT in London circa 1904. I am researching the background to 'Buy Your Own
Cherries', a temperance film made by Robert Paul in 1904, in the Muswell
Hill/Friern Barnet area of  North London.

The film shows a drinking man signing what appears to be an authentic IOGT
pledge in a small chapel or mission. I'm trying to identify the location,
and suspect it was the Freehold Mission house in Sydney Road, North London.

What I'd like to ask you is if you know where I might find information on
the Order's activities in London in this period. I'd also like to find out
if Robert Paul was commissioned to make the film, or had personal
associations with the Order.

Any hints as to where to look would be gratefully received and acknowledged.

Roland-Francois Lack
University College London
24 Chandos Court
The Green, Southgate