ADHS Archives

October 2004

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 12:16:44 -0500
Robin and Jay:

Many thanks for your helpful comments on Kazer.  Funny, you
should mention tobacco.  Tobacco was originally taken in
America as alcohol was consumed in Europe.   Natives "inhale
the smoke until they become unconscious and lay sprawling on
the earth like men in a drunken slumber." Referred to as
sotweed, tobacco produced states of intoxication: "the
Indians for their pastime, do take the smoke of the Tobacco,
for to make themselves drunk withal, and to see the vision,
and things that do represent to them, wherein they do
delight" (Gonzalo Fernandez de Oviedo, Historia general y
natural de las Indias, 1526). In 1611, Sir John Davies notes
that "Tobacco...Makes many drunke being taken with a
Whiffe."  In seventeenth-century Britain, tobacco
was "drunk" from a communal pipe with one pipe handed from
man to man around the table.   Thus, an analogous
transcultural exchange can be fashioned between the Old
World alcohol and New World tobacco.

Casey Diana