ADHS Archives

May 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 10:17:28 -0500
Date:          Thu, 13 May 1999 19:06:41 +0100
From:          Lesley Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:       Re: brandy (again)
To:            [log in to unmask]

>            During the time period of -The Mill on the Floss_(1860) modern
>medicine was , at best , in it's infansy - which is to say that, though
>there was knowledge of opiates , most people had no immediate access to
>them .

This is not strictly speaking true: opium preparations were widely
available - cf Mrs Gaskell's _Mary Barton_ for literary evidence, and V
Berridge _Opium and the People_ for a historical study.
Brandy was regarded as a reviver, rather than a soporific (which opiates
would be), so the intended action was different anyway.
Lesley Hall