ADHS Archives

April 2008

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Victor Silverman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:10:07 -0700
I forwarded this query to my colleague Miguel Tinker Salas, an expert in the
history of Sonora and Arizona.  His reply is below.

--
Victor Silverman
Associate Professor

On 4/14/08 3:04 PM, "Miguel Tinker Salas" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I have the same picture, and always thought it was named after the
Prohibition Act, so I assume it may be misdated

But I should point out that the US Prohibition movement sent letters to
then Sonoran Governor Plutarco Elías Calles asking for his advice on
temperance matters, since he had passed legislation in Sonora against
alcohol long before the US.

However, Groups or people wanting to import and serve liquor usually got an
exemption and government records are full of such request. Even when I was
doing research in Sonora in the mid 1980s liquor stores were prohibited from
selling liquor on Sundays to avoid excessive drinking before work day on
Monday. Most people purchased beer at places known as aguajes, which sold it
"under the table."

On 4/14/08 2:27 PM, "Gretchen Pierce" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm hoping you all can help me with a dilemma.  I have a photograph of
> Agua Prieta, Sonora, Mexico (right across the border from Douglas, AZ)
> that is filled with bars named and painted with beer advertisments in
> English, including one called the Volstead Cafe.  My assumption is that
> this photograph must date between 1919 and 1933, a border town catering
> to thirsty American tourists, but it is in an album with the dates
> 1910-1915.  Was Volstead already involved with temperance and pushing
> for prohibition between 1910 and 1915?  How likely is it that a
> Congressman from Minnesota would be well known in AZ and Mexico 4-9
> years before Prohibition?  Or is it safe to assume that the picture has
> been misfiled?
>
> Thanks,
> Gretchen
> --
> Gretchen Pierce, Ph.D.
> Adjunct Instructor
> Indiana University Northwest
>

> Quoting David Fahey <[log in to unmask]>:
>
>> May I ask ADHS list subscribers for their recommendations identifying
>> the most important recent publications in languages other than English
>> for the topics relevant to the Alcohol and Drugs History Society?
>>
>> David Fahey

This message has been scanned by Postini anti-virus software.