ADHS Archives

December 2006

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Howard Padwa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 16:42:19 -0800
I am studying the history of opiates, and for a comparison, I am
looking into the evolution of the theory of alcoholism. In particular I
am interested in pinpointing  when the concept of physical addiction to
alcohol (drinking too much and then becoming physically dependent)
became the accepted norm in Britain and France. The main reason I want
to do this is so I can have perspective on the idea of morphine
addiction as it developed in the 1870's.

I know that in the 19th century, the term "alcoholism" generally
referred not to compulsive drinking, but to the complications (brain
lesions, DT, liver cirrhosis, etc) that came from drinking too much.
The medical journals I have looked at are full of discussions of
"inebriety" and less so of "dipsomania." The impression I have is that
inebriety was considered more a problem of uncontrolled appetite, while
dipsomania was a form of monomania where individuals had an
irresistible compulsion to consume alcohol. Yet aside from a few side
comments in some articles I've looked at in the journals of this era,
(e.g. Frederic C. Coley, “Some Points in the Etiology of Inebriety”
British Journal of Inebriety 2, 1 (July 1904):  Robert Jones, “The
Relation of Inebriety to Mental Disease” British Journal of Inebriety
2, 1 (July 1904)) I haven't found much discussion of alcohol abuse
perpetuating dependence (the way we understand alcoholism today).
Instead, the authors seem to focus on "poor heredity" and nervous
disorders driving people to drink, as well as the overarching disorder
of "narcomania" as described by Kerr.

I've also tried looking at some of the secondary literature, yet
haven't found anything definitive on when/how compulsive drinking was
definitively incorporated into the disease known as "alcoholism."

Does anyone have any suggestions of primary or secondary literature I
can look at to get a more definitive grasp on this issue?

Many thanks-

Howard Padwa
Doctoral Candidate
UCLA Department of History