ADHS Archives

February 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"James D. Ivy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 14:07:53 -0600
I'm glad to see this group forming.  I hope it takes off quickly.

I'm a grad student in Am. Civ. at Harvard and an occasional teaching
associate at U.T. at San Antonio (and a doctor's spouse and the father of
two small-but-active children -- but I only add this to excuse the fact
that I haven't finished my diss.).  I am working on a history of early
prohibition campaigns in Texas.  I am trying to place Texas
prohibitionists within a broader, southern version of prohibition, and am
utilizing many of the usual sources -- religious and secular press,
census reports, temperance literature, older monographs -- to make my case.

I would be particularly interested in a discussion of the state of the
field.  What's new in alcohol and temperance history?  Like most at this
stage, I (thankfully) was forced to put together a bibliography of sorts,
but I suspect that I have missed quite a bit of recent work.  Who's
working out there?

I look forward to our conversations.

James Ivy