ADHS Archives

February 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kathy Transchel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 09:11:12 -0500
Its taken me some time to introduce myself.  I am in the final stages of
writing a dissertation on drinking, temperance and cultural revolution
among Russian workers, 1900-1933. It is a social and cultural history. In a
nutshell, I am looking at the historical contexts within which
drinking became a social problem in Russia, how various forms of
statist and revolutionary ideolgies accommadated the issues of drinking
and temperance and how the solutions to problems raise by drinking (and
temperance) changed those historical contexts.  Ultimately I am comparing
drinking among workers and the educated elites' discourse about that in
the pre- and post-revolutionary period to see what the Bolshevik project
was beyond transfering the means of production to the working class and
to see how the revolution was interpreted and experienced from the shop
floor, the tavern, and the street.  I have read extensively on the French
experience, but would like some suggestions on some secondary readings in
the British and German experience.  Also, has any work been done on the
Finnish temperance movement?  Thanks.  Kathy Transchel