ADHS Archives

March 2009

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Courtwright, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2009 13:46:51 -0500
Michael:

I agree with Ernie. The history of illicit drugs and drug addiction is as suspect than the history of alcohol and alcoholism. Probably more so. Yet I can't say that my research in the field has been a career handicap. There's a large difference between research and teaching. Publishers and funding sources are interested in the addiction area because it touches a policy nerve. Academic departments aren't much interested, at least not in the way they're interested in minority studies. But that shouldn't matter if you can offer their bread-and-butter courses. (I've spent most of my time teaching history of medicine, legal history, and American history period courses.) Perhaps it works differently in English departments, which tend to be highly politicized, but historians and social scientists seem less concerned with the research specialties of new hires than their ability to plug conspicuous holes in the curriculum. I say this as someone who has taken part in perhaps twenty assistant professor searches over thirty years.

David T. Courtwright
University of North Florida