ADHS Archives

October 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Greg Marquis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 09:53:19 -0300
Hello:

In Canada, the term package store is/was not that common,
although I have seen the term used informally (mention of "sealed
packages.")

I must confess than when my uncle in New England said he was
taking me to a package store, I did not know what to expect.

In the province of New Brunswick, which ended prohibition in 1927
and opened up government retail outlets, the official term was
"government store." For the first 2-3 decades of government
monoply the term "liquor store" was too offensive.

Greg Marquis

Greg Marquis
History and Politics Dept.
University of New Brunswick