ADHS Archives

June 2006

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2006 13:07:45 -0400
Aren't we really talking about restrictions for alcohol consumption
by Africans or African-descended people and indigenous peoples in the
Americas amd Australia/NZ?  Was there much objection to Esat Asians
and South Asians  and Middle Eastern people drinking?  "White" may be
the wrong word for this discussion.  I recall Gandhi lamented the
drinking by Indian laborers in South Africa around 1900.  They could
drink legally only at bars but there they could drink as much as they
wanted.  There is a reference to this in the Historian (2005) article
that I wrote with Padma Manian.