ADHS Archives

March 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 21:45:11 -0500
from David Fahey
Miami University (Ohio)

The coffee discussion prompts me to think of several things.

1) national differences and differences within "drug" consumption (the
USA often has chain retailers but not in the alcoholic beverage trade,
whether sale by drink or bottle)

2) the international dimension (not important in the USA for alcoholic
beverages or tobacco but important for coffee, tea, cocoa and most
illicit drugs)
(a colleague teaches a course on coffee & globalization)

3) the novelty of much of what is sold in upscale coffee houses (when I
was young, there was black coffee and white coffee; when I was
middle-aged, there also was decaffeinated coffee; now that I am old,
there are innumerable coffees with Italian names that I understand
imperfectly); I suspect that a large and prosperous middle class makes
the upscale coffee house possible (analogous to the sale of bottled
water in countries with safe tap water)