ADHS Archives

October 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robin Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 15:37:40 +0200
Robert --
    I think the "1984" reference was to my "Alcohol monopolies in the US: challenges and opportunities", Journal of Public Health Policy 8:509-530, 1987.  Though I suppose it could have been to "The recent history of alcohol controls: an international perspective", pp. 27-33 in Harold Holder & Jerome Hallan, eds., Control issues in Alcohol Abuse Prevention, Chapel Hill, NC: Human Ecology Institute, 1984.  From that era, there's also an issue of Contemporary Drug Problems on "The formulation of state alcohol monopolies and controls: case studies in five nations", vol. 12, pp. 1-158, 1985 (I'm only responsible for the editor' s introduction on that).
    Let me add that I enjoyed and found very useful your article on the British Columbia history.  It made me want to read your book, Demon rum or easy money: government control of liquor in British Columbia from prohibition to privatization (Don Mills ON: Carleton UP, 1991).
    Robin