ADHS Archives

April 2001

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jon Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:09:57 -0400
The SEAP could also go online as page images - .gifs or .jpgs of the
original pages. I've seen a few 19th century periodicals (North
American Review, Harper's) online in this format. I believe Hazelden
offers the full text of their publications in this format as well
(for example, try http://electricpress.com/book.jsp?Book=1568385188
). There is no worry about scanning accuracy since you consult and
read digital photocopies. If you want to step up to searchability,
the inevitably corrupt text produced by an OCR scan can reside
"behind" the page image. You can't view this text but you can search
it for keywords. Search hits refer you to page images. They won't
find every use of a given word and they will turn up some bad hits
where another word was mis-scanned as the word you are looking for.
But this is better than no searchability.

One problem with this method for the SEAP: it has full-size pages
(roughly 8 1/2 by 11) so the digital page images would be large and
slow to download. It might be easier to put them all on a CD-ROM (if
they would fit on that format) and give it away to interested
scholars. The online periodicals I've read in this kind of digital
storage format usually have smaller pages, say 5 by 8 inches.

Still this would be an option if someone wanted to make Cherrington's
work easily accessible to all.

Jon