ADHS Archives

March 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
bruce erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:28:38 -0800
Re: Tim Horton's

Does it detract from the Canadian chic that Tim
Horton's is now in Michigan (at least)?

On a slightly more serious note, it seems to me that
the upscale coffee shop chain model followed the
beginning of the flavorful coffee boom, which began in
the Pacific Northwest in the late 1970s. Small and
somewhat Bohemian-style coffee shops started using
freshly roasted beans to make strong coffee, espresso,
etc. As they began to spread, it was only natural that
capitalism American style would develop, and from that
came small regional-chains (Allann Bros. and many
more). Starbucks, et al followed.

It strikes me as I remember this that the
proliferation of micro-brewery beers started, or
restarted, around the same time in the same region.
And now many of them have grown and there are
mid-sized breweries that brew the recipes for several
labels. In a sense, history almost repeats itself on
this one.

Forgive my rambling, obviously closer to coffee time
than beer time.

Bruce A. Erickson
Le Moyne College

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!