ADHS Archives

February 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Mark C. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 14:01:57 -0600
>Let me suggest a few things.  Patrick McLaughlin "Inebriate Reformatories in
>Scotland: An Institutional History" in Robin Room and Susanna Barrows
>Drinking:Behavior and Belief in Modern History UCal Press 1991.  It by the way
>has a great bibliography broken down by countries.  Also Baumohl has written
>some superb other stuff.  Baumohl and Room "Inebriety, Doctors and the State:
>Alcohol Treatment Institutions Before 1940  Recent Developments in Alcoholism,
>ed. Marc Galanter, vol 5. pp.135-74 and "On Asylums, Homes, and Moral
>Treatment: The Case of the San Francisco Home for the Care of the Inebriate,
>1859-1870" Contemporary Drug Problems 13 (1986) (by the way, one of my
>favorite articles in the whole field).  There is also Edward Brown "What
>Should We Do with the Inebriate" Journal of the History of the Behavioral
>Sciences 21 (january, 1985).

By the way, I teach a somewhat similar senior course except that it is
limited to the United States and includes other drugs which I call American
Cultural History of Alcohol and Drugs.  I am also teaching it in a graduate
format this semester so look forward to picking your and others' brains
about the subject. I will pass on information about the network to my
interested graduate students.