ADHS Archives

October 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jon Stephen Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 15:56:15 -0500
Everyone,

I'm looking for modern scholarship documenting the production and
consumption of wine, imported and domestic, in America in the nineteenth
century.  In the late 1830s the American Temperance Union published
customs statistics suggesting wine consumption more than doubled between
1826 and 1836.  The literature of the period supports this anecdotally.  I
wonder if anyone on the list can direct me to twentieth-century studies of
American wine consumption for this period.  Regional studies would be
especially helpful.

Thank you,

Jon

Jon Stephen Miller