ADHS Archives

April 2008

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Gretchen Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2008 17:27:23 -0400
Hello,

I'm hoping you all can help me with a dilemma.  I have a photograph of
Agua Prieta, Sonora, Mexico (right across the border from Douglas, AZ)
that is filled with bars named and painted with beer advertisments in
English, including one called the Volstead Cafe.  My assumption is that
this photograph must date between 1919 and 1933, a border town catering
to thirsty American tourists, but it is in an album with the dates
1910-1915.  Was Volstead already involved with temperance and pushing
for prohibition between 1910 and 1915?  How likely is it that a
Congressman from Minnesota would be well known in AZ and Mexico 4-9
years before Prohibition?  Or is it safe to assume that the picture has
been misfiled?

Thanks,
Gretchen
--