ADHS Archives

June 1996

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
jim baumohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 09:20:40 -0400
Re belladonna cure:

As would be expected,  there were variations on the Towns-Lambert cure.
Napa State Hospital (California) used one, for instance.  If anyone is
REALLY interested, I will dig out some medical charts that I have from that
hospital  (ca. 1915-20) and give you the specifics of the cure's content and
administration.  (I have the nursing notes.)  Belladonna was not the only
significant ingredient; if memory serves, hyoscine was involved as well, but
I'd have to check..  At Napa, by the way, it was called "The Lambert," and
was not regarded as a specific cure but as a purgative aid to detoxification
(a word not then in use).  Its administration was followed by a lengthy
hydrotherapy regime.  It came into use at Napa with the appointment in 1913
of Andrew Hoisholt as superintendent.

Those interested in the state hospital treatment of drunks and addicts
during this period might see Jim Baumohl and Sarah W. Tracy, "Building
Systems to Manage Inebriates:  The Divergent Paths of California and
Massachusetts, 1891-1920."  Contemporary Drug Problems, 21 (1994), 557-97.

Jim Baumohl
Bryn Mawr College