ADHS Archives

October 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 15:54:13 -0700
>Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 21:47:19 +0200
>From: Robin Room <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: drinking around the world: Denmark, in particular
>Sender: Kettil Bruun Society <[log in to unmask]>
>Approved-by: Robin Room <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>Stanton -- Denmark, in common with only one other EU country (I think),
until July 1, 1998 had no legal age limit for alcohol package sales,
although there was a (not very enforced) law against those under 18 buying
drinks in bars or restaurants.  The 1995 ESPAD report found that
16-year-old Danes were in the top consumption group of 26 European
countries.  82% of young Danes had been drunk during the last 12 months,
compared with 48% average for the whole study.  Another study found that,
among Danish 11-12 year-olds, 20% of the boys and 10% of the girls had been
drunk.
>        The new law was touched off by a furor over the introduction of
"alcopops" on the Danish market in 1996 (apparently the name of one brand
was "little teddy").
>        A comparison of a 1998 with a 1997 survey of 11-17-year-olds found
significant decreases in (1) the proportion of boys and of girls drinking
alcohol in the last month; (2) in the number of drinks on the last drinking
occasion; and (3) in the percentage reporting being drunk in the last
month.  The effects did not appear to be limited to those under 15; the
authors of the study suggest that the public discussion of alcopops and of
the new legislation "gave a political signal to parents" concerning the
acceptability of teenage drinking.  Even so, over 20% of the 14-year-olds
were still buying alcohol in a shop during the last month in 1998.
>        This information and the quote come from a  paper by Lars Moeller
and Henrik Strunge of the Danish National Board of Health, "Changes in the
Danish national alcohol policy 1998-1999 -- and the results of these
changes", given at a NAD conference on "knowledge and expertise in alcohol
and drug policy" in Bergen 23-25 September this year.  Robin