ADHS Archives

May 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 21:44:16 EDT
I can't recall if I notified you of this, but in case not:

Rod Phillips, _A Short History of Wine_ (London: Penguin Books,
July 2000).

It covers wine (production, trade, regulations, consumption, health,
class, religion, gender, temperance/prohibition, drinking cultures,
diet, etc., from ancient times to the present. If I can make the
distinction, it's a serious history of wine rather than a historical
romp or chronicle just  for wine-lovers.  I could fax you the Table of
Contents if it would help you.

Penguin has sold US rights to a major press for publication in early
2001, but because details of the contract are being worked on they don't
want me to give the name out yet.

Good luck with the review essay.

Cheers,

Rod..

David Fahey writes:

> A number of you kindly informed me of new books written by them or by
> others to help me in writing a review essay for _Choice_ on drink and
> temperance historical studies.  I must send this essay to the editors in a
> couple of weeks, so one more request for relevant new books.  I will
> attempt to include books-in-press which will be published during calendar
> 2000.
>
> David Fahey

Roderick Phillips
Editor, Journal of Family History/
Professor, Department of History
Carleton University
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1S 5B6
Tel: (613) 520-2600 ext 2824; fax: (613) 520-2819
Email address: [log in to unmask]