ADHS Archives

February 2004

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jonathan Highfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 06:03:35 -0500
I just returned from teaching a class in Ireland and there is a
groundswell of public opposition to the smoking ban. Most of the people
I talked to don't think it will ever be enforced because currently
there are only four "smoking police" for the whole country. The garda
have said they won't issue smoking citations. All across the country
there are signs up  announcing that this or that pub will remain
smoking-friendly and calling it an act of civil disobedience. Several
people I talked to said they thought there would be a compromise
reached – many pubs have front bars and back lounges and the lounge
(where the pints are more expensive) wqould go smoke-free.

Jonathan Highfield
Associate Professor
Department of English
Rhode Island School of Design