ADHS Archives

October 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jon Stephen Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:01:33 -0500
FYI--temperance and Coke

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:42:20 -0500
From: Gregory Singleton <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Reply: Evangelicalism and Alcohol

From: Elizabeth Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>

There was an article in the journal of the American Association of
Geographers between about 1980 and the close of 1988 in which a
correlation was drawn between the influence of the Evangelicals and the
Temperance Movement and the development of carbonated beverages in the
Southern U.S.  I remember reading the article, but I didn't photocopy it,
and I do not have access to this journal at my present location.

Two of the most well-known carbonated beverages (Coca Cola and Pepsi
Cola) were invented in the Southern  U.S., as well as a host of others.
These were all very high in sugar and caffeine. (To this day, many
Southerners drink one of these beverages instead of a cup of coffee or a
cup of tea in the morning.)

The influence of the Evangelical denominations in the Southern U.S. is
still quite significant: few politicians here care to challenge any of
these churches.

Elizabeth Whitaker
Independent Scholar in South Carolina