ADHS Archives

October 2006

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Daniel Malleck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:14:36 -0400
Dear all ADHS members and friends
The most recent issue of the Social History of Alcohol and Drugs has
finally been released in its hard copy.  This is the Spring, 2006
issue of the journal. Its hard copy release was delayed owing to
printing delays (see below).  We are now, for all intents and
purposes, back on track, and the autumn, 2006, issue will be published
before the end of Autumn, 2006.

If you are a paid-up ADHS member, you should be receiving it soon, if
you have not already.  If you think you are paid-up but have not
received your hard copy by the end of October, please contact me to
check on your membership status.  Most people who received this
current issue will find a note in with their copy, indicating that
their membership expires with this issue, and directing you to the way
to renew your membership, and thereby continue to receive the journal.
  Your mailing label contains information about when your membership
expires.

For the past few issues, we have been putting the entire contents of
each issue of SHAD on the ADHS website as soon as it is ready for
publication.  This practice has ended.  Beginning with the publication
of the next issue (Volume 21, Number 1) we will have a one-issue delay
on the website posting of the SHAD.  That means that Vol 21 #1 will go
up on the website only after Vol 21#2 is published, and so on.

We strongly encourage you to renew your membership to the ADHS.
Membership fees go towards supporting several academic activities of
the ADHS.  First, of course, they support the cost of publishing the
SHAD.  For the past few years we have benefited from the generosity of
the Hazelden publishing company, who has printed and mailed SHAD for
free.  That arrangement ended this summer, and we are now paying to
publish and send all issues.  Second, ADHS holds sessions at the
annual AHA conference (this year in Atlanta, Georgia, USA).  We pay
for that opportunity.  Third, ADHS tries to support occasional
conferences, such as the one coming up next summer at the University
of Guelph, Ontario, Canada.  Finally, the ADHS fees also go towards
the cost of maintaining our website,
historyofalcoholanddrugs.typepad.com.  This site has had considerable
traffic, and is an excellent way for members and the general public to
learn more about the work of our members in studying the history of
alcohol and drugs.

You can renew your membership on line from links on the website.  If
you checked the website and found that the links were not there,
please check again, since the new buttons are now active.  You can
also send payment by cheque or money order to me, in my capacity as
acting Treasurer.

If you have any questions, please contact me at the address listed below.

Sincerely

Dan Malleck, PhD
Editor-in-Chief, Social History of Alcohol and Drugs
Secretary/Treasurer, Alcohol and Drugs History Society
Assistant Professor, Department of Community Health Sciences
Brock University