ADHS Archives

December 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ron Roizen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 12:10:20 -0800
The American Association for the History of Medicine (AAHM)
has extended a cordial invitation to ATHG to stage one or more
panels at its 1996 annual meetings in Buffalo.  An 11 Sep 95
letter from James Bono of the AAHM's Local Arrangements
Committee (LAC)--which letter was sent first to Geoffrey
Giles, then forwarded to Pat Prestwich, and then finally
faxed to me for distribution via ATHG-L--notes that
Affiiliated Societies (ATHG is one such) may offer programs
on "the Wednesday and/or Thursday prior to the offical
opening of the [AAHM] meeting on Thursday evening, May 9,
1995."

(Richard Hamm organized two such sessions at last year's
AAHM meetings in Pittsburgh--an account of which and
presentation abstracts appear in the currently in-the-mail
issue of Social History of Alcohol Review.)

Anyone wishing to organize or participate in an ATHG panel
has to get cracking though.  A wouldbe organizer must
get in touch with James Bono regarding space needs--
specifying (at least approximately) "the number of people
attending each meeting or affair, the number of rooms
needed, and the day, date, and time when such rooms will be
utilized."  Bono adds, "Please try to estimate
attendance...realistically, since we shall need to allocate
space to a potentially large number of groups."

He continues:  "Where available, the LAC will reserve the
space you require and assign specific rooms to your group.
Please do _not_ contact the hotel directly to reserve rooms.
Once we have acted on your request, however, it will be your
responsibility and that of your association to arrange and
pay for any special equipment, refreshment breaks, meals,
etc.  that your group may wish to have.  I shall be happy to
provide you with the names and phone numbers of the
appropraite staff members of the hotel.

"The LAC will also be happy to include some announcement of
your association's program and schedule of events in the
printed program of the AAHM Meeting.  If your meetings are
open to all who attend the AAHM meeting, we shall be happy
to include the complete program, space permitting.  If not,
a name, date, time, contact person, and phone number will be
printed."

The original deadline for final copy was 30 Nov 95; however,
and in light of the late hour, Bono kindly extended the deadline to
mid-December.

The relevant addresses are:

James J. Bono, Ph.D.     phone:  716-645-2282 x559
Department of History    fax:  716-645-5954
SUNY at Buffalo          email: [log in to unmask]
Buffalo, NY 14260-4130

The ATHG-L listserve can provide a convenient medium for
speedily arranging a program and recruiting presenters.  I
would also urge listserve members to contact ATHG members who
are NOT on the listserve to inform them of the
invitation and prospect--and the telescoped timeline.

It might be a good idea, too, to email me or ATHG-L re any
emerging plans for AAHM programs, so we will have our own central
repository of info.

Thank you.

Ron Roizen, Secretary-Treasurer, ATHG