ADHS Archives

October 2004

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Virginia Berridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 08:50:46 +0100
It might be helpful to look for the UK at the parallel opium literature on this issue on which there is quite a lot. Some discussion in my Opium and the People and also the history of the Society for the Study of Addictcion published in 1990.
 Bill Bynum's piece on alcoholism and degeneration was published in the BJA centenary issue in 1984.
Re addiction-I've always associuated the rise to significance of this concept with the WW1 changes in psychiatry which saw, in the UK, the advent of psychology (shell shock etc) and structural changes(psychiatry seeking a different non asylum based clientele) also the end of the possibility of a state funded asylum system for inebriates.

regards,
Virginia Berridge
Virginia Berridge
Professor of History
Centre for History in Public Health
Department of Public Health and Policy
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Keppel Street
London WC1E 7HT
Tel:  0207  927 - 2269
Fax: 0207  637 - 3238
http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/history

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/03/04 3:45 PM >>>
Peter and Bill --
   I know this is not what Peter was asking for, but the trouble with the standard literature on this is that it is still so focused on the US and a little on Britain.  We really need some work trying to trace what happens where and when elsewhere.  Does the Foucauldian shift to an addiction/alcoholism concept found for the US by Harry Levine and Mairi McCormick (and confirmed by Peter himself, against the counterarguments of Warner and Porter; Contemporary Drug Problems 28:363-390, 2001) show up at the same time in other places; does the timing and places of its appearance mirror a growth in/diffusion of temperance thinking; or can the shift happen without an attachment to temperance thinking?  The materials for doing such an analysis are probably available in the secondary literature for at least many European and English-speaking countries, but I'm not aware of anyone specifically taking this issue on cross-culturally.
   What can be done more eaily is track the institutional inception and diffusion of inebriate homes and asylums and to some extent the diffusion of medical ideas.  Jim Baumohl and I started down this track some time ago ( http://www.bks.no/bauroom.pdf). Papers like Tom Babor's (Classification of alcoholics: Typology theories from the 19th century to the present. Alcohol Health and Research World 20(1):6-17, 1996) summarize some aspects of the shifts in medical thinking.
   But this task is not the same as the histoire de mentalités task of studying shifts in popular conceptualization.
   I was embarrassed the other day when a couple of Finns asked me when the terms "addiction" and "addict" begin to be widely used in English in approximately its modern sense -- for this I had no better off-the-cuff answer than "maybe around 1900".   Does anyone have a better answer?  Crothers is using it unselfconsciously in 1902, and Towns talks about "tobacco addiction" in 1915. I suspect the term would have been recognizable to an American newspaper reader by 1910 -- but to a British or Australian??
   (An interesting sidelight is that neither Finnish or Swedish have a word for "addiction" -- there was an old term roughly equivalent to "inebriety", and now there is an exact translation of "dependence", but the common term used in Swedish where "addiction" would be used in English translates as "misuse".)
   [Second sidelight: I went to the New York Times ProQuest archives, http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/nytimes/advancedsearch.html, and found that "addiction" and "addict" both were occurring about 10 times a year in  NYT articles at the eginning of the archive, around 1851 and 1852.  But in the more general meaning of "bound over to" or "devoted to", albeit with a very negative connotation.  An example which I could see and pass along for free (the use was in the first paragraph):
      The eagerness of those prints which addict themselves of the interest of absolutism, leads them into all manner of adsurdities. It was only a day or two since, one of them, if possible a little more stringent in its anti-popular nations than the rest of its diminutive tribe, leveled a compound syllogism, at Hungarian patriotism, of which the following is perhaps a fair statement:... ["German radicalism", New York Daily Times, Dec. 18, 1851])

        Robin