ADHS Archives

September 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ann Tlusty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 12:43:28 -0400
I teach a freshman course called "Alcohol and Civilization", and have found
Schivelbusch (Tastes of Paradise) useful as a starting point for a
conversation.  Of course it ranges from the subject of drink and
over-generalizes, but it is one of the few books in English that provides a
"grand theory" (that can be tested with additional articles on each period)
and makes pleasant reading for undergrads.
I have a syllabus (unfortunately not complete) at my web site
(www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/tlusty/courses.html).
cheers,
Ann T.