ADHS Archives

August 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Greg Marquis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:02:22 -0300
Hello:

We don't have as much research on Freemasons in Canada as in
the US, but it was a popular movement among English Protestants.
In the late 1930s, for example, Toornto had 76 lodges attended by
over 26,000. In 1920, 9% of Ontario's adult male population were
Masons, a figure that compares to the US.

Statistically, I think that there were more Masons than members of
any other single fraternal organization, including the Loyal Orange
Lodge. So the chances of a member of the Sons of Temperance
being a Mason were fairly good.

Greg Marquis
History and Politics
University of New Brunswick Saint John