ADHS Archives

April 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ron Roizen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 05:40:03 -0700
Hi Dan...

Bill White is a member of this list, I believe.  Anybody wishing to get
around the distribution
problem you've mentioned may want to email him directly, at
[log in to unmask] (yes, that's 3 Ls in BILLLWHITE).  You're right --
Bill's Philadelphia paper was cannibalized into the prologue (on words and
meanings) of his book (pp. xiii-xvi).  Your undergrad friend will find many
useful references there, including of course Harry Levine's classic paper
("The Discovery of Addiction: Changing Conceptions of Drunkenness in
America," Journal of Studies on Alcohol 39:143-174, 1978 -- which is
available online at the Lindesmith Center website).  She might also be
invited to explore the etoh database (etoh.niaaa.nih.gov) to look for, say,
Jessica Warner's response to Harry's paper as well as for histories of the
addiction idea relating to cocaine use (Stanton Peele) or alcohol (Yalisove
-- though his article is loaded with problems), etc.

Ron