ADHS Archives

May 2007

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Gretchen Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2007 21:55:32 -0400
Dear Group,

As a historian I feel woefully inadequate when it comes to what
scientists, anthropologists, etc. have said about the subject of
alcohol addiction.  I know that Mexican temperance reformers in the
1920s and 30s believed that indigenous and working-class people drank
more than others, and they believed that science validated their ideas.
  But my question is: what do modern scienticists say about this?  Is
there any propensity to consume alcohol based on class or ethnicity?
It seems highly prejudiced to me, but I could be wrong.  Any good works
that you could point me to?

Thanks,
Gretchen

Gretchen Pierce