ADHS Archives

October 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jon Stephen Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 17:08:40 -0500
Close, Ron, but no cigar.  Blankenship's birth is dated around 1831.--Jon

P.S.  As for the "sobriety" of Twain's stag dinners, I would say, no doubt
they were physically intoxicated after 8-10 toasts, no matter how light
the wine.  I think Fatout's point--in the piece I quoted--was that these
were "dignified" and not "wild" affairs.  No paradise of bachelors; more
like stodgy old Babbitts.  I think he means "sober" in the non-alcoholic
sense (if there is such a thing): i.e., more grave, earnest, and subdued
than silly, cynical, and uproarious.  As the center of entertainment,
however, Twain was probably one of the least "sober" in the room.

Jon Stephen Miller
Assistant Editor
Walt Whitman Quarterly Review
Department of English