ADHS Archives

July 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jim Baumohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:03:32 -0400
anyone interested in pursuing ian tyrrell's suggestion for further research
on the wctu's role in drug policy might have a look at:  jim baumohl,
"maintaining orthodoxy: the depression-era struggle over morphine
maintenance in california."  this will appear in CONTEMPORARY DRUG PROBLEMS
late this year (i think), and in caroline acker and sarah tracy's
forthcoming book, ALCOHOL AND DRUGS IN AMERICAN HISTORY.   a subsequent
piece will take up the federal bureau of narcotics' role in deterring the
maintenance movement in the state of washington during the same period.
this article pays close attention to the activities of elizabeth bass (ca.
1865-1950), a doyenne of the democratic party who was fbn chief harry
anslinger's principal political operative and his link to the old
home-protection constituency, including the wctu.  jb