ADHS Archives

March 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:30:51 -0500
Dan's point about gambling research reminds me that most of us--social
scientists and others--study drinking, drugs, or whatever as a
social/medical/legal PROBLEM.  For certain disciplines--maybe anthropology
is an appropriate example--drinking, drugs, or whatever may be studied as
part of NORMAL life and not as a problem.  Some scholars, for instance,
study alcoholic drink as part of  historical research on food or of leisure
behavior or of social ritual or of business enterprise.

David Fahey