ADHS Archives

October 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ron Roizen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 10:05:13 -0700
Speaking of Twain.  Some of you will know that I now live in the small
mining town of Wallace in north Idaho.  It's a place with lots of history
(see, for a sampling thereof, http://www.roizen.com/ron/Big-Trouble.htm ).

I've been reading May Arkwright Hutton's book, which is a contemporary and
vigorously anti-mine-owners account of the labor troubles that emerged in
this area around the turn of the 20th century (M.A.H., _The Coeur d'Alenes
Or A Tale of the Modern Inquisition in Idaho_, which was originally
published in 1900 and is now available in its entirety as an included
reprint in James W. Montgomery, _Liberated Woman : a life of May Arkwright
Hutton_, Farfield, Washington: Ye Galleon Press, 1985 [originally, 1974].

No (to my knowledge, at least) Twain never visited Wallace.  Hutton's book
offers a cameo of a feller known around here as "Uncle Tonk" however --
real name, Addison Orvando Toncray.  Tonk, according to Hutton, lived in
Murray, a once thriving mining community not too far from Wallace that is
now but a mere shadow of its former self.  Hutton says Tonk went to school
with Clemens and later became the model for Huck Finn.

Hutton tells that Tonk became a besotted alcoholic.  "He was once a bright
man, with a fair educatipon, but drink and other vices had shattered his
intellect so that now he does not keep to a subject two minutes at a time.
In fact, he's a walking temperance lecturer, but he informed Jock that he
had not taken a drink for four months, and said he never would again" (p.
190).  According to this brief picture, Tonk managed to "eke out an
existence doing chores, taking care of gentlemen's offices and running
erands" (p. 190).

Ron

> From: Jon Stephen Miller <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]