ADHS Archives

October 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jon Stephen Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:00:56 -0500
FYI

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:40:49 -0500
From: Gregory Singleton <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: REPLY: Evangelicalism and Alchohol

From: Malcolm Dean Magee <[log in to unmask]>

    Regarding the subject of American Evangelicals and alcohol I have been out
of the loop due to a hardware failure on my computer.  However, if these
sources have not already been mentioned I would include a discussion of the
subject in Henry F. May's "Protestant Churches and Industrial America", New
York, Harper and Brothers, 1949.  There is also a series of articles in the
Princeton Review during the 1870's debating the topic.  I don't have the issues
at hand but they can be found on line via the University of Michigan.  It was a
hot topic as the issue of prohibition was being raised.  The Presbyterian
church, or the part represented by Princeton, was initialy opposed to the idea
of prohibition but seems to have slowly come around to the idea.  The articles
are illuminating.

Malcolm Magee [log in to unmask]