ADHS Archives

November 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Meg Smitley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:29:19 +0000
Dear Pat,
Is it possible that the Mrs Eliza Stewart listed in your note is Eliza
'Mother' Stewart?  Stewart, an Ohio native born c1816 (I think), was a
leading female temperance reformer and is known to have been very active
in establishing temperance unions around the US and abroad.  To my
knowledge this activity is attributed to Stewart after she rose to
prominence after the Whisky War in the early 1870s.  So, this may be a
red herring ...

I believe that there is some info on Stewart in Ruth Bordin, Woman and
Temperance: The Quest for Power and Liberty, 1873-1900 (Philadelphia :
Temple University Press, 1981).  Stewart did publish a few books herself
and I would reckon that if she was in the area when your group was
founded it will have been noted in the local temperance and or
mainstream press.  I work on women in temperance in Scotland and I know
how difficult it can be to find information on local women.  I hope that
this helps a bit.  Good luck.
Best,
Megan Smitley