ADHS Archives

February 1997

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ron Roizen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 10:09:57 -0600
Hi Sarah...

Jim and Richard are right of course!

Harry Gene Levine, "The Committee of Fifty and the Origins of Alcohol
Control," *Journal of Drug Issues* 13:95-116, 1983.

Incidentally--and as long as I've got my Levine file open--Levine and
Smith (i.e., Harry and David C. Smith, "A Selected Bibliography on
Alcohol Control, Particularly before and at Repeal," Social [later,
Alcohol] Research Group Working Paper F71, December 1977) say of the
CofF:  "Perhaps the most comprehensive attempt to examine the totality
of the liquor problem, the Committee of Fifty reports truly mark the
beginning of a distinctively 'scientific' and administrative approach
to the liquor problem in the United States."

John J. Rumbarger (*Profits, Power and Prohibition: Alcohol Reform and
the Industrializing of America 1800-1930*) discusses the CofF at pp.
89-101.

And forgoshsakes don't forget Phil Pauly's wonderful, "The Stuggle for
Ignorance About Alcohol: American Physiologists, Wilbur Olin Atwater,
and the Woman's Christian Temperance Union," *Bull. Hist. Med.*
764:366-392, 1990.

Happy hunting!
--
Ron Roizen, Ph.D.