ADHS Archives

October 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Bradley C. Kadel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2000 17:41:25 -0500
The development of such language in the business world makes for fascinating
history.  Off-licenses have a long history in Ireland and have been known by
many different names.  Is anyone well-acquainted with the history of the
label off-license in Britain and Ireland?  In my study of Irish pubs before
the First World War, I have yet to see it.  The most common phrase in
Ireland at the end of the century was simply licensed grocer.

Brad Kadel
Department of History
Luther College