ADHS Archives

October 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
jim baumohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 09:46:48 -0400
don't know of any post-room articles, but robin may.  the situation in
pennsylvania, the largest wholesale purchaser of wine in the world, i
believe (with the province of quebec second if memory serves), remains
essentially unchanged in spite of attempts by republican governors to
privatize.  the state holds wholesale and retail monopolies on wine and
spirits; the sale of beer is permitted in case lots only at "beer stores,"
and licensed premises may sell 6-packs for take out.  state liquor stores
and beer stores are closed on sunday, and the full-page ads of discounters
in new jersey and delaware continue to appear in the sunday papers.  the
philly inquirer wine critic continues to take shots at the state system on
a regular basis.

as a former wine merchant, i could offer some remarks about how the state
system works for consumers in pennsylavnia, but that's not what was requested!

jb