ADHS Archives

May 2001

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 14:07:09 -0400
I have discovered that there is available a microfilm of the entire
6-volume E.H. Cherrington, ed., Standard Encyclopedia of the Alcohol
Problem.  This should be useful especially for libraries outside North
America.  I have been told that in the United Kingdom not even the British
Library has this important reference work.

How did I make this discovery?  It is the old story of learning from
mistakes.  To help me write an encyclopedia article on the Standard
Encyclopedia, I requested the microfilm of the papers that document the
creation of this work.  By mistake, my ILL service provided me with the
microfilm of the Standard Encyclopedia itself.  The copy that I saw belongs
to the University of Michigan.  I  presume that there or elsewhere there
are the masters from which to make additional copies.