ADHS Archives

November 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
jon s miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 22:37:47 -0600
My guess is there were laws forbidding the employment of children in
taverns before there were laws insisting everyone do their part in the
effort to keep children from drinking.  In nineteenth-century temperance
fiction the narrator often worries the children behind the bar will get in
the habit of finishing the leftover sweet toddy they just recently spent
five minutes preparing.  And there is no sense that someone should be
_fined_ for the child's presence behind the bar.  There is instead a sense
that the whole system and business of bars should be dismantled
altogether, because the drunken child is just the tip of the iceberg.  I
bet drinking laws were heavily written and revised after Prohibition, when
anti-alcohol legislators were most resigned to the existence of bars.
They seem like a compromise measure, compared to Prohibition.  Also, no
town has drinking laws without a large police department committed to
enforcing the laws, and capable of enforcing the laws.  Maybe Melanie can
get the date of the first law prohibiting the employment of children in
bars, and get half credit.

Jon Miller
Department of English
University of Iowa