ADHS Archives

June 2001

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sarah Hand Meacham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 18:01:27 -0400
Dear scholars,

Does anyone happen to know of a source that includes
alcohol recipes from western Africa?  I've performed the
usual literature searches, but since I'm not as familiar
with African history I could easily have missed something.
I'm particularly interested in the 1500-1800 era, but would
appreciate any references or suggestions at all.

While I'm writing in, I thought I'd tag onto the Distillery
Project topic.  In my research on alcohol production in
the early Chesapeake I've run across a number of receipts
(1790-1820) stating that someone has or has not paid the
required distillery taxes in VA, MD, and PA.  What has
surprised me are the number of stills that appear to have
belonged to women.  In the receipts the tax collector
states that it is the woman's still.  Have others run
across this?  Did it strike anyone else as remarkable?

I'm interested in learning not only if early 19th century
woman commonly owned stills (or if I just found a few freak
situations), but also how Americans have forgotten that it
was women who used to make much of the alcohol.  Women
brewed in other countries as well; is their involvement
known outside academia?  Is it only in America that we have
forgotten the gendered aspect of alcohol production?  I'm
curious about how countries remember (or mostly appear not
to remember) their alcohol histories.

thank you,

Sarah Meacham

Sarah Hand Meacham