ADHS Archives

October 2006

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2006 11:15:43 -0400
Recently several members of the US Congress who have resigned in
disgrace (Foley, Ney, Cunningham) appear to blame alcohol for their
downfall.  There is a support group in Congress for acknowledged
alcoholics (most famous participant, Patrick Kennedy).  Has there
been any research on alcoholism in the US Congress or in politics in
general, whether American or in other countries, for recent times or
historically?  Politicians (and journalists) have a reputation for
heavy drinking, but I don't know whether in fact they are more likely
to be alcoholics than college professors or dentists or auto
mechanics.  I define alcoholism as drinking that affects personal or
work life adversely.