ADHS Archives

February 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jerome Nadelhaft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 17:07:24 -0500
One of the subjects I indicated I was interested in for my
research on 19th century wife abuse was the culturally determined
or influenced behavior of drinkers.  In particular, of course, I
am interested in the relationship between drunkenness and
violence.  For some groups, apparently, violence was seen as the
expected and often accepted outcome of intoxication.  So, people,
men who got drunk, behaved violently because they thought that
that was what people who drank too much did.  Obviously, though,
some men, knowing society's expectations, found drunkenness a
convenient excuse for the violence they had in mind.  But there
is evidence that for some people(s), intoxication led only to the
inability to act.  So, some women fearing beatings tried to
escape it by getting drink for their husbands in hopes they would
pass out.

In any event, however it worked, cultural influences on drinkers'
behavior seems great.

Obviously, I would appreciate references, etc.
Jerome Nadelhaft             Sabbatical address: [log in to unmask]
History Department
University of Maine