ADHS Archives

September 1996

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"K. Austin Kerr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 1996 11:30:42 -0400
The triangular trade is a staple of American history.  Any economic history
of the colonial period should deal with it.  Edwin Perkins' book on the
colonial American economy (Columbia University Press, 2nd ed. I think)
should guide you ok.

I think John McCusker wrote his dissertation on the rum trade a long time
ago (the dissertation, that is!), but to my knowledge he has not published
on the subject.

At 01:13 PM 9/2/96 +0930, you wrote:
>Sender:       Alcohol and Temperance History Group <[log in to unmask]>
>Poster:       Melissa Raven <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      triangular trade
>
>I've only recently come across references to the so-called triangular trade
>(rum, slaves, sugar, traded between England, West Africa, the Americas) in
>the early(?) nineteenth century (and late eighteenth?).
>
>I'd like to know more about this (I've only seen it mentioned in passing).
>Can anyone suggest a few good papers or books to read? Plus I'd welcome
>anyone's thoughts/ideas - I'm particularly interested in the significance of
>alcohol as a tool of imperial expansion/colonisation, and links between
>commercial interests and international politics, but I'm also intrigued by
>the symbolic significance of links between slavery and alcohol. Also, until
>recently I'd always thought of sugar as a fairly ordinary commodity, but
>I've heard a bit lately about the use of Torres Strait Islanders as slave
>labour in the sugar-fields of north Queensland (Australia), and the notion
>of the triangular trade suggests that there's a lot more to it than I'm
>aware of.
>
>Thanks
>Melissa
>Melissa Raven, Lecturer, Addiction Studies Coordinator
>National Centre for Education & Training on Addiction
>NCETA, Level 3B, Science Park Adelaide, BEDFORD PARK  SA  5042, AUSTRALIA
>Phone 61 8 2017557  Fax 61 8 201 7550

K. Austin Kerr, Co-Editor of H-Business
private: [log in to unmask]
Find out more about H-Business and Business History at
http://www.cohums.ohio-state.edu/history/bus.htm